A few weeks ago I was checking the American Society of Journalists and Authors’ member forum and noticed a note about blog promotion. The member asked the group if anyone had blog promotion tips, mainly in regards to timing publication and timing social media posts. I responded with a handful of questions and an equal handful of tips. Here are the tips:
- Make complementary media-rich content: Infographics, audio, video.
- Create unique custom social posts. Search for relevant Hashtags. (Twubs, Hashtags.org, Hashtagify.me) Craft social posts to cater to a specific niche that’s touched upon in the post. For example, I wrote a blog post about a Poetry Science Cafe event themed around the Juno mission – I tagged it on Twitter with local hashtags and #Juno. I’ll probably Tweet about it again with exclusively science-related tags, and post a re-cap of the event with poetry hashtags.
- Add link to your email signature
- Feature teaser content in a newsletter
- Look for guest blog opportunities
Then another member, Nancy Christie, chimed in. She liked my responses and invited me to write a guest post for her blog The Writer’s Place. We tossed a few ideas back and forth and today my post “3 Ways to Use Social Media to Market Your Book Before It’s Published” went live. Take a peek!